Tuesday 28 August 2007

A look back at Laurent Garnier

Laurent Garnier released an appropriately titled Retrospective album in 2006. This is far more interesting than a best of, insofar as the selection rests, in theory, on the artist's personal favourites instead of the top sales argument.

The album has my favourite Laurent Garnier track, and definitely one that I would include on my imaginary introduction to techno: “Raw Cut”, originally from the album Shot in the Dark. I remember loving this track so much that I could play it backwards (using SoundEdit 16 on my Performa 5400) and still enjoy it. I still play it two or three times in a row when I listen to it.

The live recording on “Man With The Red Face” reminds me the St Germain concert we attended with Am. a few years ago. French techno/house has a lot to offer.

No comments: