Thursday 2 August 2007

Industrial Revolution

Industrial Revolution by Cleopatra Records (1993) is the best industrial rock selection I have ever listened to. I discovered it by pure chance about ten years ago, as far as I can remember, at my local library.

The trackslisting includes a few jewels that set the path for the rest of industrial music: Einstürzende Neubauten's "Feurio!", Spahn Ranch's "Mind Riot", Throbbing Gristle's "Hot On The Heels Of Love" (I just wish they could include "Zyklon B Zombie" for the sake of contrast), and other classics by Klute and Revolting Cocks. I was pleasantly surprised to find the avant-garde punk track "Third Uncle" by Brian Eno had been included -- in fact, this may have played an important role in me picking up the disc in the first place, along with the weird cover. Sister Machine Gun's "Addiction" is a personal favourite.

The following video for Spahn Ranch's "Locusts" (1995) sets the scene for those of you who do not have a single clue of what industrial music sounds like:



The second CD features some of the most influential tracks I know in industrial rock: Front Line Assembly's "Mindphaser", Kraftwerk's "Metal on Metal" (which describes its epoch better than anything else), Nik Turner's "Thoth" (another personal favourite), and Sleep Chamber's "Beside Dance". Tracks by KMFDM, Ministry and Pressurehed are also there.

The double CD is definitely worth it. It does not seem to be very well known, at least not on the Internet surface. Its underground after-taste probably makes it even more enjoyable.

1 comment:

Ben said...

I thought I might already have this one, but don't think so. To be honest, I have enough random industrial compilations though.