Wednesday 19 September 2007

Five favourite albums (Part 1: Soft Machine and David Sylvian)

I should not play this game (especially at 3am), but I am starting to identify my favourite albums with greater precision.

The first one is clearly Soft Machine, Third. Every note on this album has left a mark in my mind. “Facelift” and “Slightly All the Time” are my ideal representations of, respectively, tortured and groovy electrified jazz music. “Moon in June” is the prelude to Robert Wyatt's foundational album, “Rock Bottom.” (produced by Pink Floyd drummer Nick Mason). “Out-Bloody Rageous” shows how to compose and play in the idiom of Steve Reich, with added jazz-rock style. The remastered 2007 edition of Third has extra live tracks (Facelift was already live on the 1970 Columbia recording). I listen to it almost every night.

The second one is David Sylvian, Gone to Earth. If memory serves, I discovered it after drifting from Brian Eno to Brian Eno & Robert Fripp, then to Robert Fripp & David Sylvian, and finally to David Sylvian. The album shocked me as the best ambient album I had ever listened to, even if Brian Eno's experimental work had been my first introduction to the genre. I remember listening to it looped when reading my courses for the preparation of my brevet des collèges (the BEPC, a French equivalent to the GCSE which we take when sixteen).

The third album will be a King Crimson album from their first period, which started with In the Court of the Crimson King and ended with Red. I yet have to pick my favourite Crimson album. I have only little clue about the fourth and fifth ones, but they will probably feature Brian Eno and perhaps Harold Budd at his side, King Crimson's Robert Fripp, Robert Wyatt (solo) and David Sylvian.

Followers include Pink Floyd from their first psychedelic period (Animals is so amazingly brilliant), new ambient composer Biosphere for his 2004 album Autour de La Lune based on the French radio archives of Jules Vernes, post-rock band Tortoise for understanding Brian Eno so carefully, and Frank Zappa, for being Frank Zappa, the Boris Vian from the eighties.

No comments: